Friday, March 21, 2014

in praise of SAHMs..

letters from fans found Dr. Laura Schlessinger 'in praise of stay at home moms"
 
Posting them here for posterity in case I ever doubt my decision in the future..

"I could not have a marriage if I were working, or probably even if I were trying to work part time and raise my toddler. I wouldnt be able to take care of the house the way I do. My husband would not have a warm meal and a warm smile waiting for him at night. And I definitely would not have the energy to be a babe at night.
Although he struggles with his new career, considering how much he loved teaching, I know that he feels a sense of pride and meaning that he is supporting the healthy childhood of our son, he is a champion of the family. Being able to stay at home with our son means that I have the mental capacity and physical energy (however minimal on some days!) to be his WIFE and not just a live-in house keeper.
Not that we don't have difficulties. I have struggled with depression and anxiety throught the process of beoming a mother, as he has in the process of becoming a father and the only wage eamer. I think raising kids in general puts a huge strain on a marriage, maybe more so if both paretns have radically changed their lives so one parent can stay home. All of that considered, though, I truly belived that our commitment to have me stay at home, and the team effort of making that happen, has strengthened our bond and love despite the sacrifices."

"Nine years ago I left a job I loved and was good at. My bosses appreciated me and my work. Many of my former coworkers are still there. I'm sure they think of me (fondly!) from time to time.

But to be honest, I was replaced in a matter of weeks, and I'm certain that whoeevr took my position was equally talented, brillant and resposible. The company got along fine without me all these years.
However, my siblings and I lost our dear mom when she was only forty-seven. I miss her and think of her often. A mother holds a special place in your heart, and no one can take that place. I want to devote my time, energy and talents where they count: creating memories for and with my children; teaching them, learning from them, laughing with them, playing with them, guiding them, loving them... and being loved in return."

No comments:

Post a Comment