Friday, December 6, 2013

Peachy

After the tumultuous events over the past few weeks, things have finally settled down and it seems that everything is working out beautifully..

The original menu was supposed to be alcohol free... basically the bride who is a dietitian was concerned about the health effects of alcohol...truth be told, it's mainly cos of the cost factor. Plus, I didn't think that many friends and family members drink as well..

Mom, however, threw a fit when she found out and insisted that red wine is a must...

I was rather adamant at first but decided to back down after a day or two after consulting with an aunt who pointed out that it would appear miserly if no wine is served and also my grandma and another aunt do enjoy a glass of red occasionally (this was news to me)..so I looked at the contract of the wedding dinner and was aghast to find the clause of "no external beverages are allowed to be brought in" and wanted to kick myself for not negotiating a corkage waiver (I didn't think we'll need it) and after checking with the assistant banquet manager, corkage for wine is about $18 a bottle..and the restaurant's house wine is $40 a bottle.. 

So I am thinking... The house wine most probably wouldn't be fantastic and the people who would appreciate wine will know that it's not great..and if we paid corkage and bought our own, it would work mouth to a rather hefty expense...

So I asked the Keeper to pray alongside about the matter and how we could best handle the situation..

And voila! The next day when I checked the contract again, where the perks were listed, it actually cleared stated that corkage is waived!

Hallelujah!

And then I have a friend in Sydney (thank God for talented friends from all over!) - he writes the most entertaining wine reviews- I have showed him the menu and now he's in the process of choosing some wines for the dinner! So happy! Our guests will get to enjoy delicious wines and my mom will be happy and our budget is still fairly reasonable!

And my second sister has already purchased the fabric for my tea ceremony dress..(she's a fashion designer by trade and is going to make a cheong sam for me... she's known to be a super procrastinator and would usually give my mom an outfit for an event MINUTES before the event..so it is really quite a feat that the fabrics are purchased 5 months in advance..)

The other two wedding gowns I will be wearing are already ready - and because they have a flexible tie back option, I do not have to fret about gaining or losing weight...they will fit no matter what.....I only have to get a can-can underdress for them....which my second sister is going to loan me..(she was going to go into a wedding gown rental business..) 

Invites have been sent out via Facebook and google docs is doing the tough job of collating responses and we'll send out physical invites about 2 months before the dinner.. 

Tasting of the wedding menu will most probably take place during that time..otherwise it will be the first week that Dennis is here.... which is one week before the wedding dinner...but *shrugs* it should be fine as well...there's only one item in the cold dish platter that I'd like the chef to change as it's slightly repetitive but other than that, every thing else is fine.. 

wedding photographer has also been booked (a really good friend) and the plan is to do the tea ceremony at 5.30pm and then cocktails at 6.30pm...am thinking that as incentive for my relatives (most probably only my mom's side) to come down  for the tea ceremony to tell them that we'll get the wedding photographer to do family portraits as well...since every one's going to be decked up anywhere...might as well take more pictures right? :)) So at least we can bless the relatives back in a small way......My family has not taken any 'proper' family portraits before.. 

the wedding make up artiste cum hair stylist will be my younger sister...and we are doing a trial run tomorrow...it's also my company's D&D so every thing's quite on track... 

So yeah..no more soldiering.. More like cruising..  :))

No comments:

Post a Comment